I think we live in a society that in many ways is more peaceful than that of our ancestors but still the threat of violence is always there. I notice it anytime I am walking by a woman at night. You can tell that she is worried about who is walking behind her and you can see she is wondering if she is going to be
attacked. Not that it happens so often that we should be as worried as we are but even now in these modern times, the advice is to stay away from dark alleys at night, go in groups, lock your doors, always be on the look out ready to defend yourself etc. because you never know who will be out there. It is sort of sad that we have half of the population living in fear and essentially told to guard themselves by staying indoors. In many ways we have about the same amount of freedoms as our ancestors. I think of all of the women I have been close to that have had some sort of violence done to them by a stranger or a friend and it is almost all. We do live in a violent society and this violence is reflected in music. I have attached two pictures. The first picture shows Jack Ruby getting shot by Lee Harvey Oswald. The 2nd picture has an image that is on a popular t-shirt. Oswald's gun has been replaced by a guitar and Jack Ruby has been given a microphone. The Oswald Band is born. It is sort of horrible that the image has been altered this way, but I think it relects how we view violence, as entertainment and it shows the link between the two.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Harvey_Oswald

No comments:
Post a Comment